Why is Cycling Important for Mixed Martial Arts Athletes?
By Elite Sports on
By Elite Sports on
Cycling is a highly environment-friendly, efficient mode of transportation and a great workout. It can increase muscle endurance, improve coordination, and build overall strength. That is why many mixed martial art (MMA) athletes use cycling as part of their outdoor training routine to help them stay in shape and prepared.
Cycling also helps MMA athletes maintain balance and prevent injuries. But there is more to the story because cycling offers much more. Let’s explore it right away.
Table of Contents
- 1. What is MMA?
- 2. 6 Amazing Benefits of Cycling for MMA
- 2.1. Improved Endurance
- 2.2. Enhanced Muscular Strength
- 2.3. Lower Injury Risk
- 2.4. Burn Calories
- 2.5. Improved Mobility and Flexibility
- 2.6. Increased Mental Focus
- 3. What are The Health Benefits of Mixed Martial Arts Training?
- 4. Tips for Safe Cycling
- 5. FAQs
- 5.1. What is Healthier, Cycling or Running?
- 5.2. Is Cycling the Best Exercise?
- 5.3. Does Cycling Strengthen the Upper Body?
- 6. Takeaways
1. What is MMA?
Mixed martial arts, or MMA, is a full-contact combat sport that originated in Japan. It combines elements of Judo, Karate, and Taekwondo and has become a popular fixture on the global fighting sporting scene. The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is the biggest MMA organization in the world, with over 200 fighters competing in its events.
2. 6 Amazing Benefits of Cycling for MMA
Cycling can offer many benefits for MMA fighters and training partners. These benefits include
2.1. Improved Endurance
Cycling can improve the endurance of mixed martial artists. Researchers have found that cyclists have a higher endurance threshold than runners or swimmers when working out. The maximum recommended intensity for cycling is 150 beats per minute at a moderate pace, which is the ideal pace for cycling.
2.2. Enhanced Muscular Strength
Enhanced muscular strength is essential for athletes participating in mixed martial arts training. Cycling is a great way to increase muscular strength and endurance. In addition, cycling can help improve coordination and balance. It also has the added benefit of improving cardiovascular fitness.
2.3. Lower Injury Risk
Cycling has long been known as a great form of cardio, which is why many people incorporate it into their MMA training sessions.
The study looked at data from over 1 million participants from different sports and found that cycling was associated with a decreased risk of injuries in the lower body, hips, and spine.
This data suggests that martial artists can reduce their injury risk by incorporating cycling into their routine. Cycling can improve cardiovascular health and help you develop stronger leg muscles.
2.4. Burn Calories
You can quickly burn calories and improve your conditioning with the help of cycling. When you are training for MMA, adding cycling will support the training and burn extra calories.
It happens due to the movement of the body that you do during cycling. Moreover, cycling can also help you to lose weight and reduce your risk of heart disease and diabetes.
2.5. Improved Mobility and Flexibility
Cycling provides improved mobility and flexibility. It is a low-impact workout that can be done at any time of the day. Cycling also increases cardiovascular fitness, mobility, and flexibility and ensures smooth movement.
2.6. Increased Mental Focus
Mental focus is vital to any effective workout routine, and cycling is no exception. According to a study, cycling can help to increase mental focus and improve cognitive coordination.
The study participants cycled at a moderate intensity for 30 to 60 minutes and then completed a series of mental tasks that required them to pay attention and involved memory.
This research suggests that increasing physical activity can improve mental focus and productivity.
3. What are The Health Benefits of Mixed Martial Arts Training?
While there are many health benefits of cycling to participating in regular MMA training, some of the key benefits are:
- Increased strength and fitness levels
- Improved cardiovascular endurance
- Better balance and coordination
- Increased muscle mass
- Better mental toughness
- Decreased susceptibility to injury
4. Tips for Safe Cycling
- If you're new to cycling, start with short rides on local trails. This will help you get your bearings and build up your endurance.
- Choose a bike that fits you well and is comfortable. You'll spend hours on your bike, so make sure it's worth your time and effort.
- Be aware of traffic when cycling; always ride defensively and obey all traffic laws.
- Practise safe cycling habits, like signaling when turning or stopping, even at stoplights.
- Take note of weather conditions, take shelter if necessary, and be prepared for sudden changes in temperature or weather conditions.
- Remember to wear safety gear such as rash guards and knee pads.
- Keep the first aid kit in your training accessories bag.
5.1. What is Healthier, Cycling or Running?
Cycling is healthier than running because it impacts the body less. Cycling also helps you burn more calories because you work at a higher intensity than running.
5.2. Is Cycling the Best Exercise?
Cycling is considered among the best exercises for MMA fighters because it helps with cardiovascular fitness, muscle strength, endurance, and muscle coordination. It also aids with weight loss, as it is a low-impact activity. The amazing thing is that cycling can be done indoors or outdoors, depending on the weather conditions.
5.3. Does Cycling Strengthen the Upper Body?
Cycling, like any other physical activity, can benefit the body and mind. Some researchers believe cycling can strengthen the upper body muscles to improve combat readiness. Other studies have found that cycling can positively impact mental health and well-being.
Cycling is integral to mixed martial arts athletes' training regimens for a few key reasons. It can help build cardiovascular endurance and flexibility while providing a cardio workout without stressing the joints.
Moreover, cycling also helps reduce weight and improve overall fitness. So if you want to enhance your mixed martial arts skills, cycling may answer your issues.