BJJ Rash Guard: Buyers Guide on Choosing The Best Rash Guard
By Elite Sports on
By Elite Sports on
Most of the time we see BJJ athletes practicing or competing in traditional BJJ gi. The jiu jitsu gi has a lot of significance and cultural value in the combat sport of BJJ.
However, you must know that jiu jitsu is not only practiced in a gi. No gi BJJ or practicing BJJ in rashguards is quite common in every gym and international tournament.
The tradition of wearing BJJ rash guards gained popularity in the early 2000s. Now, most jiu jitsu athletes practice no gi BJJ or at least wear it underneath their gi to minimize the accumulation of sweat and improve blood flow.
If you are a beginner and want to buy a new BJJ rash guard to start your training or just want to upgrade your rash guard for maximizing the training experience then here is an all-inclusive buyers guide that can help you in choosing the best BJJ rash guards.
Read More: 14 Habits of an Elite Jiu Jitsu Athlete
Table of Contents
- 1 What is a BJJ Rash Guard?
- 2 Why You Should Wear A Jiu Jitsu Rash Guard?
- 2.1. Get Rid Of Sweat Accumulation
- 2.2. Minimize The Spread Of Bacteria
- 2.3. BJJ Rash Guards Effectively Protects Your Gi From Sweat
- 2.4. Jiu Jitsu Rash Guards Helps In Muscle Recovery And Injury Prevention
- 3. IBJJF BJJ Rash Guard Rules
- 3.1. For Shirts And Rash Guards
- 3.2. Shorts Requirements For Men
- 3.3. Shorts And Pants Requirements For Women
- 4. Qualities Of Best BJJ Rash Guards
- 4.1. Should Be Highly Stretchable
- 4.2. Flatlock Stitching
- 4.3. Silicone Engraved Waistbands
- 4.4. Antimicrobial And Antifungal Properties
- 5. How To Choose The Right Size Of A BJJ Rash Guard?
- 6. Our Best BJJ Rash Guards
- 6.1. Elite Sports Standard Jiu Jitsu Rash Guard For Men
- 6.2. Elite Sports Star BJJ Rash Guard For Men
- 6.3. Elite Sports HoneyComb Jiu Jitsu Rash Guard For Men
1. What Is A BJJ Rash Guard?
A rash guard is a tight-fitted uniform made with a special fabric that is easily stretchable. You wear it inside of your gi to minimize the risk of getting an injury.
If you are competing in a no gi BJJ competition then the uniform you will be wearing there is known as BJJ rash guard.
Wearing a rash guard while competing in no gi jiu jitsu is a requirement. The main purpose of rash guards is to protect your body from picking up bruises and scratches.
2. Why You Should Wear A Jiu Jitsu Rash Guard?
If you are practicing or competing for a no gi BJJ competition then wearing a rash guard is a compulsion. You also need to wear a rash guard underneath your gi according to the IBJJF guidelines.
Here are some of the benefits of wearing a BJJ rash guard.
2.1. Get Rid Of Sweat Accumulation
If you practice BJJ in cotton t-shirts and shorts then a major problem you would be facing is sweat accumulation.
Such fabrics heavily absorb sweat because as a result, you are more likely to get a skin infection. Moreover, you would never want to show up at your gym smelling bad due to your sweat.
To help you get rid of sweat accumulation, the BJJ rash guards step in. The fabric used in rash guards has sweat-wicking properties.
Such fabric allows your body’s moisture to travel easily from your body to the outer side of your clothes. This will eventually help your perspiration to easily evaporate from clothes and keep you dry.
2.2. Minimize The Spread Of Bacteria
Unlike other martial arts, BJJ is a combat sport in which you are close to your opponent. Moreover, there are dozens of other people practicing on the same mats in a hot and sweaty environment.
Getting skin infections such as rashes or ringworm is common in grappling sports. You can minimize the spread of germs by wearing rash guards.
Elite Sports rash guards also have antimicrobial properties to make sure that you are always safe from picking up any type of infection.
If you wish to add an extra layer of protection against bacteria and germs then you must buy these long-sleeved rash guards.
2.3. BJJ Rash Guards Effectively Protects Your Gi From Sweat
If you wish to increase the longevity of your BJJ gi then you must wear a rash guard beneath it. The sweat-wicking property of jiu jitsu rash guards makes sure that your gi stays safe from sweat stains.
Washing the gi every time you practice BJJ could be a problem. Weaning a rash guard under it doesn’t allow your perspiration to be absorbed by the gi.
2.3.1. Do You Prefer To Wear A Rashguard Under The Gi Or Not?
If you practice BJJ regularly then wearing a jiu jitsu rashguard under the gi is always recommended. Some people only wear a t-shirt underneath their gi but it can easily cause skin infections and your performance can be sabotaged.
If you wish to protect your skin from scrapes and burns then you must wear a performing BJJ rash guard under your gi.
2.4. Jiu Jitsu Rash Guards Helps In Muscle Recovery And Injury Prevention
There are several benefits of wearing compression spats in BJJ that include improved blood flow, minimum muscle vibration to reduce the risk of injury, and many more.
Research has shown that wearing compression rash guards speeds up the muscle recovery process after you finish training. If you are a beginner then you might face swelling and soreness after you finish training.
The compression rash guards constantly apply pressure on your muscles to help your body get rid of built-up lactic acid.
While practicing jiu jitsu, your legs and knees are vulnerable to picking up any bruises due to the friction produced by the mat. But, the BJJ rash guards can efficiently protect you from that.
For More: Top 6 Deadly Arm Locks in BJJ
2.4.1. How To Prevent Mat Burn From BJJ?
Here are some tactics you can use to avoid mat burn from BJJ:
- Wear a BJJ rash guard.
- Take care of your skin and stay hydrated.
- Use finger tape to protect your hands and feet.
- Clean your mats after every rolling session.
3. IBJJF BJJ Rash Guard Rules
3.1. For Shirts And Rash Guards
- According to the International Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Federation, both men and women are required to wear a skin-tight stretchable material that is long enough to cover your upper torso till your waist.
- The shirt should have at least 10% color of the rank to which the athlete belongs.
- Shirts with 100% of the athlete's rank color are also allowed.
3.2. Shorts Requirements For Men
- Shorts should have the color of the rank to which the athlete belongs.
- Shorts should not have any pockets, exposed drawstrings, zippers of any form of plastic material that can risk the opponent.
- The shorts should be long enough that half of the athlete’s thighs are covered.
- They should not cover the athlete’s knees.
- Compression leggings worn under the shorts are also allowed.
3.3. Shorts And Pants Requirements For Women
- Women can wear shorts or compression pants according to the color of their rank.
- They must be long enough to cover the thighs and should not cover the knees.
- There should be no buttons, zippers, or any other material that could risk the opponent.
4. Qualities Of Best BJJ Rash Guards
Whenever you buy a BJJ rash guard, make sure that it has the following qualities:
4.1. Should Be Highly Stretchable
The rash guards should be made with high-quality material that can be easily stretched length and widthwise.
The most popular fabric that is used in this context is a blend of polyester and spandex. Spandex is a synthetic fiber that is known for its property of being highly stretchable.
4.2. Flatlock Stitching
Flatlock stitching is the type of stitch where there is very little or no fabric bulk at the seams. These seams are made by placing both pieces of fabric side-by-side and then sewing the edges together.
This type of stitching ensures fewer chances of chafing. The flatlock stitching is more reliable than other types.
While practicing jiu jitsu, your rash guard has a higher chance of getting torn. But, the flatlock stitching makes sure to add durability to the rash guard.
4.3. Silicone Engraved Waistbands
While practicing BJJ you are constantly making rapid movements so your shorts must have an extra grip on your waist.
For this purpose, most of the high-quality rash guard shorts come with an anti-slip band made from silicone or rubber that runs across the waist portion of the shorts.
4.4. Antimicrobial and Antifungal Properties
While practicing BJJ you might be sweating heavily. Especially if the weather is hot then constant sweating can cause several skin infections.
The high-quality BJJ rash guards are made with antimicrobial textiles that stop the growth of microbes and can even eliminate them completely.
How To Choose The Right Size Of A BJJ Rash Guard?
5’ - 53’’
105 lbs - 145 lbs
5’4’’ - 5.9’’
105 lbs - 160 lbs
5’2’’ - 6’2’’
120 lbs - 190 lbs
5’3’’ - 6’3’’ ’
175 lbs - 225 lbs
2 Extra Larger
6’1’’ - 6’5’’
200 lbs - 265 lbs
6. Our Best BJJ Rash Guards
If you are looking to buy some best-in-class jiu jitsu rash guards then you can never go wrong with the Elite Sports BJJ rash guards collection. Let’s have a look at our all-time best-selling rash guards.
6.1. Elite Sports Standard Jiu Jitsu Rash Guard For Men
Elite Sports standard BJJ rash guards for men are made using high-quality compression material that allows improved blood flow.
It comes with an impressive color combination of the sleeves that makes you stand out from all other competitors. These colors are according to the rank of your belt.
The classic Elite Sports Logo is embedded on the chest to tell others that you are an Elite BJJ practitioner.
You don’t have to worry about getting a skin infection while practicing jiu jitsu when you get our rash guard because it’s made from antimicrobial fabric.
If you wish to keep yourself cool when rolling in the summer then buy our short sleeve standard rash guards to maximize your performance.
If you are a fan of long sleeve shirts and wish to keep your arms fully covered so you have maximum protection against germs then we have got you covered.
If you want to make a style statement with your BJJ rash guard then our star no-gi rash guard is here for you.
Made out of a high-quality blend of polyester and spandex, the rash guard allows better blood, enhances your performance, and speeds recovery times.
This BJJ rash guard is elegantly designed as you can see in the picture. The color combination is according to the ranking of your belt and is an IBJJF complaint.
Elite Sports never fails to impress with its unique designs in BJJ rash guards. This rash guard has an impressive honeycomb print on its sides that makes it stand out.
The seams follow flatlock stitching to ensure maximum durability. Through the use of high-quality compression material, your performance and
recovery times are enhanced.
This rash guard also has antimicrobial and antifungal growth properties to ensure you always stay safe from picking up any skin infections.
Top Rated Blogs
- Best BJJ Spats, No Gi Shorts and Compression Shorts for Men (All Under $30!)
- What Are The Best BJJ Gis for Women? (And Tips for Women’s BJJ Gis)
- How to Buy the Best BJJ Gi for Kids?
- The Most Affordable Best BJJ Gis for Men in the Market
- High Mounts in BJJ Getting, Retaining, and Escaping High Mounts
- Top 6 Deadly Arm Locks in BJJ