Gabriel Vieira E Mendes
Gabriel Mendes, 24 years old, born in Maceio - AL / Brazil, currently living in San Diego - CA, Judo black belt. He started training judo with 4 years old. He is multiple state champion multiple medals on national and international tournaments. His best result is his bronze medal at Worlds Jr. Judo Championship. He won the US Open 2017 and US Nationals 2016 and 2017. The Olympic Games is his dream!
* 1st Place - Brazilian Championship
* 3x South American Champion
* 2x American Nationals Champion
* 1st Place - US Open Judo Championship
* 1st Place - France International Juniors Cup
* 3rd Place - World Junior Championship
* 3rd Place - International Juniors Lignano Cup
* 3rd Place - Pan American Championship
* 2rd Place - International Juniors European
* 1st Place - International Argentine Cup
* 1st Place - California State Games
* 1st Place - West Coasts Tournament
* 1st Place - Golden State Tournament
* 1st Place - Brazilian University Championship
* 3rd Place - Olympic Selective Rio 2016
* 5x State Champion [Rio de Janeiro]
* 8x State Champion [Maceio]
Q&A Session Between Gabriel Vieira E Mendes and Elite Sports
Question: What inspires you about Judo?
Answer: I'm thinking judo is more than sport, it's a way of life, you can learn respect, discipline, dedication. But I think the Olympic Games is what's inspires me, all athletes working really hard to be there, and I wanna be there.
Question: Who inspires you, past or present? Why do they inspire you?
Answer: My Dad inspired me, he was a boxer and great guy, he is pushing me to my best in judo and life!
Question: What are your goals for this year? Next 3 years? Next 5 years?
Answer: I did almost all my goal for this year, I won the Nationals and US Open, now my objective is the Dallas Open and Presidents Cup booth at Texas! For the Next 3 years I want to compete more outside the USA, on Europe and Asia. On 5 years I want to be at Olympic Team!
Question: How long have you been training?
Answer: Since my 4 years old, but I start training hard with 11 years old.
Question: How often do you train?
Answer: Monday - Saturday, 2 or 3 times a day, Judo, Jiu-jitsu and strong-condition training
Question: Any major accomplishments you’ve been able to achieve in that time?
Answer: I won the USA Nationals and US Open, that's were my best results this year
Question: What sort of gear do you usually keep in your gym bag before hitting the gym? Do you have different items for specific days?
Question: Do you have a go-to finishing move?
Answer: My favorite technique is Ippon Seio-Nage, and underground game I like the clock choke
Question: What do you think it takes to be a champion in your sports?
Answer: Dedication and have strong mind for tournaments. Sure, the talent helps you, but talent without dedication is nothing, and have everything ready for the tournament, but your mind is not good, you are in trouble