On December 4th of 1995 in Brooklyn New York I saw a demonstration of Tae Kwon Do Chung Do Kwan at a after school center for at risk youth. The next day I started my martial arts journey. 22 years later I feel accomplished but not complete. (See my accomplishment below) during my martial art journey I've trained in war zone both in Iraq and Afghanistan. After leaving active service in 2012 I was involved in a accident that almost took my life. The road back wasn't easy I gained a lot of weight and almost died because of type 2 diabetes and a blood clot in my lungs. However, because of my background and support I have from family and friends I was able to over these issues and begin training again. My goal now is to inspire others to be healthy and to try to get back into competition shape and give it my best while representing USA next year against team Jamaica.
Tae Kwon Do achievements:
- Dec 1995 started training in Tae Kwon Do.
- Dec1998 earned my 1st Dan.
- Dec 2002 earned my 2nd Dan.
- Oct 2004 open a school in Iraq to train both soldiers of the U.S. Military and Iraqi Police and Military.
- Aug 2007 open a school In Afghanistan to train both soldiers of the U.S. Military and Afghan Police and Military.
- Dec 2009 earned my 3rd Dan.
- Oct 2011 open a second school In Afghanistan to train both soldiers of the U.S. Military and Afghan Police and Military.
- Aug 2014 earned my 4th Dan.
- Aug 2017 was inducted in the Martial Arts Hall of Fame.
- Feb 2018 U.S. National Karate Team Member.
Shotokan Karate achievements:
- Dec 2005 started training in Shotokan Karate
- Dec 2008 earned my 1st Dan.
- Dec 2011 earned my 2nd Dan.
- Dec 2014 earned my 3rd Dan.
- Dec 2017 earned my 4th Dan.
- Nov 2005 started training in Jiu-Jitsu.
- Dec 2010 earn my 1st Dan.
Kai Ki Do Karate achievements:
- Aug 2015 stated training in Kai Ki Do Karate.
- Dec 2017 was given the honorary rank of 4th Dan.
- School open in January 2016 in El Paso Texas.
Q&A Session Between Jose Guerrido and Elite Sports
Question: What inspires you about BJJ? MMA?
Answer: MMA is the testing grounds to see what's works and what don't.
Question: Who inspires you, past or present? Why do they inspire you?
Answer: My mom, because despite being sick she always pushes herself to do better.
Question: What are your goals for this year? Next 3 years? Next 5 years?
Answer: 3 years to expand my school. 5 years to open another location.
Question: How long have you been training?
Answer: Since Dec 5th 1995.
Question: How often do you train?
Answer: 7 days a week there no off days.
Question: Any major accomplishments you’ve been able to achieve in that time?
Answer: Was inducted into the hall of fame this year.
Question: Do you have a go-to finishing move?
Answer: Can't share that with you guys.
Question: What do you think it takes to be a champion in your sports?
Answer: Dedication and knowing your why.
Question: What sort of gear do you usually keep in your gym bag before hitting the gym? Do you have different items for specific days?
Answer: My martial arts bag my GI sparring gear mouth guard hand wraps and boxing gloves. My other gym back has everything I need for cross fit, powerlifting and cardio.