His name is Reese Idica. He was born and raised on Oahu Hawaii. Started his career in the Martial Arts at 13 years old. Practiced in the Arts of Kenpo, Muay Thai, Kali, Jun Fan JKD, wrestling, Boxing, and shootfighting.
In 1997 he was influenced by the early days UFC and his friend who try out Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. He also Began competing in in-house MMA gym competitions (since mma at the time was not well received in the communities and the public) In 2001, He moved to Las Vegas. He became a student of the First Brazilian Jiu Jitsu/MMA school of Las Vegas called "Jsect" owned by former UFC fighter John Lewis (also known as a pioneer of MMA and the owner of the MMA show called World Fighting Alliance). John was instrumental in the merging of the Fertittas buying the UFC. He was also their first Jiu Jitsu Teacher. He have trained with world class Fighters and Grapplers such as John Lewis, Marc Laimon, Sim Go, Sonny Nohara, Kimo Leopoldo, Marvin Eastman, Rafael Lovato, Carlos Newton, Gilbert Yvel, Jeff Glover, Frank Trigg, Razor Rob McCullough, Vitor Shaolin Ribeiro, Renato Charuto Verissimo, Marc Bocek, Kendall Grove, AJ Scales, Bernardo Pitel, Cesar Pedrini, Andre Marola, Gustavo Dantas, KJ Kama, and more...
He is also Certified and Affiliated with the powerhouse team in Brazilian Jiu jitsu and the UFC called "Nova Uniao" aka New Union. He assisted teaching at Fight Capital Gym (formerly JSect) June of 2013 and began his Journey as a Black Belt January of 2015. Since then, He have opened up his own BJJ academy called Nova Uniao Las Vegas/ Rivals BJJ he have also been a Law Enforcement Official for 12 years. He instruct his own Defensive Tactics Lesson Plan For Multiple Law Enforcement Agencies.
* 2002-2nd place blue belt lightweight division GRAPPLERS QUEST Tournament
* 2002-1st place blue belt lightweight division IMAC International Martial Arts Council Tournament
* 2003-1st place blue belt lightweight division ARIZONA DESERT QUEST 3 Tournament
* 2003-2nd place lightweight division pancrase tournament by HAWAII MARTIAL ARTS INTERNATIONAL SOCIETY
* 2004-1st place purple belt absolute weight division world champion IMAC International Martial Arts Council Tournament
* 2013-2nd place brown belt absolute division NORTH AMERICAN GRAPPLING ASSOCIATION
* 2013-2nd place brown belt absolute division No Gi NORTH AMERICAN GRAPPLING ASSOCIATION
* 2015-1st place black belt light weight division JIU-JITSU WORLD LEAGUE TOURNAMENT
* 2015-2nd place black belt absolute division JIU JITSU WORLD LEAGUE
* 2016-2nd place black belt lightweight division UAEJJF LAS VEGAS PRO
Q&A Session Between Reese Idica and Elite Sports
Question: What inspires you about BJJ? MMA?
Answer: The thing that inspires me about BJJ or MMA is that it is a never ending journey. I'll always be a student of the art.
Question: Who inspires you, past or present? Why do they inspire you?
Answer: BJ Penn and John Lewis first inspired me with their accomplishments in the past. In the present my students are my inspiration. Love watching them accomplish their goals.
Question: What are your goals for this year? Next 3 years? Next 5 years?
Answer: My goal for this year is to expand my school. In the next 3 years compete and win Worlds Masters. In the next 5 years continue to improve and advance my training and techniques.
Question: How long have you been training?
Answer: I have been training BJJ for 15 years. In total martial arts years 24
Question: How often do you train?
Answer: I train 5 to 6 times a week
Question: Any major accomplishments you’ve been able to achieve in that time?
Answer: Wins in the black belt division.
Question: Do you have a go-to finishing move?
Answer: Gi-Bow and Arrow
No Gi-Rear Naked Choke
Question: What do you think it takes to be a champion in your sports?
Answer: Sacrifice and Dedication.
Question: What sort of gear do you usually keep in your gym bag before hitting the gym? Do you have different items for specific days?